Regular checkups at Complete Dental Care in Brooklyn, NY, Advanced Dentistry in Brooklyn, or Vista Dental in Jackson Heights, NY, help you protect your sparkling smile. No matter what your age, it's important to visit your Jackson Heights and Brooklyn, NY, dentist at least two times per year.
How you benefit from dental visits
Visiting your Brooklyn or Jackson Heights every six months offers a simple way to avoid serious oral health problems that could damage your teeth or gums. Oral health issues aren't always obvious. In fact, you may not know that you have a small cavity or mild form of gum disease if you don't make dental checkups a priority.
While large cavities can cause pain, small cavities are usually painless. Fortunately, dental X-rays can detect tiny areas of tooth decay. Treating cavities when they're small offers these important advantages:
- Less Damage to Your Tooth: Decay destroys part of your tooth, weakening it. If decay is severe, you may even lose your tooth. Treating cavities when they're small limits the damage to your teeth.
- Lower Risk of Other Dental Procedures or Restorations: You're more likely to need a root canal, dental crown or other procedure or restoration at some point if you've had a large cavity in a tooth.
- Protection for Your Other Teeth: Tooth decay can spread to your other teeth if it's not treated promptly. Diagnosing and treating small cavities prevents the spread of decay.
Other advantages of checkups include:
- A Cleaner Smile: Your visit includes a dental cleaning to remove plaque and tartar from your teeth. The longer these substances remain on your teeth, the greater the risk of cavities and gum disease.
- A Thorough Exam: In addition to checking for cavities, your dentist will check for signs of gum disease and look for cracks, loose fillings and other issues.
- Oral Cancer Screening: Every visit also includes an oral cancer screening. Your dentist will look for lumps, bumps, white patches, sores that don't heal and other potential cancer signs.
- A New Toothbrush: It's important to replace your toothbrush every three months, or sooner if it shows signs of wear.
Safeguard your smile with regular checkups. Schedule an appointment with your dentist in Brooklyn, NY, or Jackson Heights by calling (718) 338-5700 or (718) 434-5800 for the Brooklyn offices or (718) 335-0100 for the Jackson Heights office.